My New Office

Don’t tell my husband, but it all started with a new tape dispenser.

I was shopping online for some new office accessories that were, well, not so ugly, and I came across this acrylic little beauty. When it arrived in the mail, I was shocked at just how pretty it was.

So I started thinking, how inspiring would it be if every single object that surrounded me while I worked had the same feel? Only one way to find out! Afterall, a designer deserves good design too, right?

And so I began to carefully build a space that was light and airy, complete with a spot for every catalog, fabric sample, and file folder. I challenged myself to keep it within a modest budget but maintain a high-end look. Here’s the end result.

NSID Credenza

Sample Wall

Ribba picture ledges make for a perfect sample wall.

Kraft Box Storage

Eurostyle Chair

A proper chair makes all the difference. The Dirk High Back by Eurostyle.

Upholstered Pinboard 2

A little DIY project- a few yards of fabric, a staple gun, some cork tiles, and an old panel from my painting days made for this custom pinboard.

Upholstered Pinboard

Fabric Swatches

NSID Credenza

For balance- a pair of mercury glass lamps from Roost, and a polished nickel starburst mirror.

Open Storage

Expedit has never looked so good! Magazine files from Martha Stewart’s line of office goodies at Staples.

Woven Bin

Large Milk Crate baskets (Rattan Koboo Gray) from Target fit Expedit from Ikea perfectly and Martha Stewart’s Bookplate Labels from Staples add a little character.

Starburst

Can’t help but add some sparkle!

Desk Accessories

This Extra Large Rubbermaid Bento Tray from Target does double duty as both stackable project tray and desktop organizer.

For a closer look at other projects that I’m working on, you can follow me:

On Twitter: @NSIntDesign  https://twitter.com/NSIntDesign

On Instagram: @nsinteriordesign  ink361.com/nsinteriordesign

Thanks for reading!

Love,

Nagwa

This entry was posted in Home Renovation and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Follow any comments here with the RSS feed for this post. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

42 Comments

1. Posted October 8, 2012 at 3:25 pm by Sani | Permalink

Nagwa!! Your office is GORGEOUS! Congrats!!

2. Posted October 8, 2012 at 5:34 pm by Valerie | Permalink

I love it!

3. Posted October 8, 2012 at 6:28 pm by Nora | Permalink

so pretty nagwa! i would never want to leave work!

4. Posted October 8, 2012 at 7:15 pm by yousreya Abdel Hamid | Permalink

There is nothing you do that is less then perfect. You are talented and beautiful.

5. Posted October 8, 2012 at 9:59 pm by Nadia | Permalink

Omg! Spectacular! Makes me wanna work for you just to sit and enjoy it all!

6. Posted October 8, 2012 at 10:06 pm by Elle | Permalink

Beautiful!!! You are so talented!

7. Posted October 8, 2012 at 10:34 pm by Sahar | Permalink

Nagwa, absolutely amazing!! Wish I could have a study space just like that!! U r beyond talented!

8. Posted October 8, 2012 at 10:51 pm by Yasmine | Permalink

The office looks amazing! I am a huge fan of your work. Thanks for sharing the pics!

9. Posted October 8, 2012 at 10:58 pm by Waleed Hamada | Permalink

Oh my GOD Nagwa! Honestly your talent is off the charts. If and when we open a new practice out here in Egypt we’re flying you out to do it

10. Posted October 9, 2012 at 11:02 pm by Hoda Seif | Permalink

I love it!!!

11. Posted January 15, 2013 at 6:36 pm by Nancy | Permalink

Love love love-your office!!! If you don’t mind….What other cabinets are mixed with the expedits? Did you add a counter from ikea on the top as well? I think the whole thing is BEAUTIFUL!!!!

• Posted January 16, 2013 at 11:10 pm by Nagwa | Permalink

Thank you Nancy! I used two Micke drawer/file units and one Micke storage unit (in the middle) from Ikea. Mounted on chrome Besta legs, they ended up being just the right height to place beside the Expedits. I topped the whole thing off with the two long surfaces in the Lack TV Unit (my own little Ikea hack) which I attached together with a brace from Home Depot. The two together were the perfect length and depth for my room and the built-in as a whole. I like the thickness of it as a counter top and the way it just visually finished it all off. Hope this helps! :)

• Posted February 27, 2013 at 11:15 am by Nancy | Permalink

Thanks fo much for your reply! I went to IKEA to check out the units you have in your office and there isn’t any storage unit (like the one you have in the middle) I am trying to decide what other piece I can use instead.I don’t think I would like the look of 4 of the file cabinet drawer combos in a row. I like the way you have one on each end and the 2 drawer unit in the middle. Our offices must be the same size because all of your choices will work in mine too! Thanks agian!
      Nancy

12. Posted February 20, 2013 at 8:09 am by donna | Permalink

what color is that on the office walls?

13. Posted February 20, 2013 at 7:45 pm by Susan | Permalink

I love your office! It would be a great place to be inspired. Do you mind sharing the colors of the Walls and the trim?

• Posted February 21, 2013 at 9:01 am by Nagwa | Permalink

Thank you! The paint color is Benjamin Moore’s 1514 French Canvas. The trim is just a high gloss bright white. Not sure about the exact specs.

14. Posted February 21, 2013 at 6:25 pm by Susan | Permalink

Thanks so much!

15. Posted March 9, 2013 at 10:30 am by Kim | Permalink

I love the desk! Where did you get it from?

16. Posted April 24, 2013 at 8:04 pm by Kimberley | Permalink

Hi Nagwa! I love your office! I wanted to go and buy that tape dispenser (so adorable!) but sadly they won’t ship to Canada! *tear* Also, I LOVE your nail polish! I’m always looking for a soft pink! <3

17. Posted June 12, 2013 at 10:36 am by Nathalie Gaeser | Permalink

I love your office. It is so clean and a good mix of modern and softness.
    Nathalie

18. Posted June 19, 2013 at 8:10 am by Julie | Permalink

This is so beautiful! Would you mind telling me which desk from Ikea this is? Thank you!
    Julie

19. Posted August 13, 2013 at 1:00 pm by Ashley Kielbratowski | Permalink

I see that you have mentioned the desk is from Ikea, along with many other items. To make it easier to look up what is the name of the desk! Thanks Ashley

Love love love this look!

20. Posted August 21, 2013 at 1:13 pm by Mary | Permalink

I absolutely love your office and am duplicating in my basement as I finish out a room to be my office. Quick question, how did you attach the besta chrome legs to the Micke unit? Did you have to drill new holes or use glue?

• Posted February 2, 2014 at 1:15 pm by Luka | Permalink

Mary, were you able to figure it out? We are having the same dilemma. Thanks!

21. Posted September 24, 2013 at 2:19 pm by Kimberly Paige | Permalink

Hi Nagwa,
    I was wondering if you could tell me where did you get your floating shelves from?

• Posted September 24, 2013 at 2:25 pm by Nagwa | Permalink

Hi Kimberly. They are Ikea Lack shelves. Thanks!

22. Posted November 7, 2013 at 9:40 am by Kristen | Permalink

Love! Where is your starburst mirror from?!

23. Posted December 7, 2013 at 3:17 pm by Miranda | Permalink

Love! Where is roman shade from?

24. Posted January 10, 2014 at 6:00 pm by Che | Permalink

I can’t seem to locate the Micke storage unit in the middle. Did you have different doors put on?

• Posted January 11, 2014 at 12:42 am by Nagwa | Permalink

I did not put different doors on it. All I did was add new pulls. But I heard that Ikea is not carrying this piece anymore, so that might be the case unfortunately.

25. Posted February 1, 2014 at 9:58 pm by Luka | Permalink

We are duplicating this but cant figure out how to attach the besta legs to the micke unit. How did you do it? Thanks!

• Posted February 2, 2014 at 1:56 pm by Nagwa | Permalink

Hi Monica,

Thanks for your comment. I used a metal washer that has a sort of rubber grip on one end (found it at Ace Hardware, don’t know it’s exact name), and some 1.5″ drywall screws. If you look into the shaft of the Besta leg, you’ll see a hole. Insert the metal/rubber washer with the rubber side down, then the screw and screw it into the bottom of the Micke unit. Keep in mind, the way I attached them works for me because the entire unit is secured under a countertop and won’t endure any real movement. I came up with this method on my own, and it’s work just fine for me. If you think that your unit will encounter more movement, this way may not work. You may need additional support.

26. Posted February 14, 2014 at 6:12 am by Krystal | Permalink

I love the floating shelves — what a great way to balance out the window.

27. Posted March 13, 2014 at 10:48 pm by jacqui | Permalink

what is the beautiful drape fabric? :)

• Posted March 14, 2014 at 12:00 am by Nagwa | Permalink

Sorry, I bought this fabric off a bolt so long ago and they were custom made into drapes. It wasn’t ordered, so I have no name for it.

28. Posted August 21, 2014 at 12:29 pm by Katie | Permalink

Is this the besta and burs desk from ikea? everything looks so beautiful together! I’d love try something along these lines at my house.

One Trackback

1. [...] A white-and-silver scheme is carried out all the way, including the pencils, in interior designer Nagwa Seif’s home office. [...]